Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 2

Okay, it's week two in my "Keeping a Deadline" plan. What have I gotten accomplished? Actually, not much in the art department. I did get a skull done. Yes, just one. I decided to change what I was working on. Maybe I will finish the three skulls after I have come up with an idea of what I want to do with them, but my plans had to completely change to the kitchen this past week.

For the past ten years, my husband and I have really let ourselves go. I have gotten into adding more vegetables into our meals for the past couple of years, but the biggest problem was with the snacking. Convenience foods have been taking their toll on our health, especially now that we are older. We just can't get away with eating junk anymore, and our bodies were staging a revolt. Last weekend I decided that it was time to start taking better care of ourselves. I have spent the past week in the kitchen trying to prepare healthier snacks, and meals for us and our daughter.

The past week has been nothing but healthier fare without the added sugars, salt, and fat. Since I am preparing all of the snacks myself, I know what's in them, and so far it has been mostly fruits and vegetables. Of course, the fruit has gone the fastest.

 I still need my chocolate fix once in awhile. Chocolate covered strawberries have become my staple for this purpose. I guess eating a chocolate covered strawberry is better than having an oreo...or two, or three, and so on. I get my chocolate fix, and I'm eating something healthy in the process. Chocolate covered strawberries are actually quite filling, so I'm not in any danger of over indulging. I like that.

So...I would say that week two has been pretty successful. I just hope that we can keep this up, because I have to say that I am pretty exhausted. Who would have thought that eating healthy would be so much work!! Now I know why people get so hung up on convenience foods.


No comments: